Britain’s ambassador to the United States, Sir Kim Darroch, described President Donald Trump as “inept” and “dysfunctional” and predicted Trump was on the verge of ending his presidency in “disgrace” according to leaked diplomatic memos obtained and published by The Daily Mail.
Other highlights of the memos from Darroch:
- Describes bitter conflicts within Trump’s White House – verified by his own sources – as ‘knife fights’;
- Warns that Trump could have been indebted to ‘dodgy Russians’;
- Claims the President’s economic policies could wreck the world trade system;
- Says the scandal-hit Presidency could ‘crash and burn’ and that ‘we could be at the beginning of a downward spiral… that leads to disgrace and downfall’;
- Voices fears that Trump could still attack Iran.
In another of the highly sensitive cables, the ambassador writes:
“We don’t really believe this Administration is going to become substantially more normal; less dysfunctional; less unpredictable; less faction riven; less diplomatically clumsy and inept.”
Informing his superiors back in London about a Trump rally, Darroch noted:
“There is a ‘credible path’ for Trump to win a second term in the White House – but describes the crowd as ‘almost exclusively white.'”
Commenting on the Trump administration’s policy toward Iran, Darroch remarked:
“Its unlikely that US policy on Iran is going to become more coherent any time soon. This is a divided Administration.”
As HuffPost notes, the leaked internal communiques could fracture the relationship between the U.S. its closest ally, not mention enraging Trump:
The disclosure of highly sensitive cables between the British embassy in Washington and Downing Street could strain the so-called “special relationship” between the U.K. and the U.S.
It also raises questions about leaks at the heart of government and of the morale of the civil service.
The publication of extracts from the cables on Sunday could also prompt a direct response from Trump himself.
One thing seems certain: Ambassador Darroch clearly has a firm grasp on the Donald Trump that millions of us know and dislike with a passion.
Featured Image Via NBC News