President Donald Trump badly wants Americans to believe that he’s already building his beloved border wall, but he’s not exactly helping his case with the “facts” he’s using.
Earlier this week, Trump posted video on Twitter which he claimed was evidence of construction of the wall on the U.S.-Mexico border:
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) February 20, 2019
THE WALL IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION RIGHT NOW! https://t.co/exUJCiITsz
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) February 21, 2019
Problem is, those tweets are gigantic lies, HuffPost reports:
“The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, whose logo appears in the bottom corner of the video Trump shared, actually produced the clip in September 2018, a spokesperson told veterans news website Task & Purpose. It shows ‘a replacement project’ for a section of a barrier that was in place before Trump assumed office.”
Brian Williams even did a fact-check of Trump’s specious claim on his show Thursday evening, determining that as with most things, the president is just making things up as he goes along:
President Trump tweeted a time-lapse video of work along the border wall in New Mexico: “Many miles more now under construction.”
— MSNBC (@MSNBC) February 21, 2019
Even a local TV station in Albuquerque got into the act, calling Trump out for his BS, along with the Corps of Engineers:
That video Trump is tweeting to show the wall under construction? Not true, says *the Army Corps of Engineers PAO chief who provided the old footage.* “It’s a replacement project… I’ve been in this division for 12 years and we were doing border wall replacement work back then.” https://t.co/DOWvYNklrR
— Adam Weinstein (@AdamWeinstein) February 21, 2019
Twitter soon joined the fray and ripped Trump apart with mockery:
Total lie, number 8649th.. That is replacement wall footage taken not to long ago.. You’re so brazenly loose with the truth, Donald, it’s kind of awe inspiring.
That’s why you need the “FAKENEWS” propaganda slogan & line for the MSM, because they consistently call you out on it
— Diva (@sammypolsen12) February 21, 2019
we went through this yesterday. this is a REPAIR to an existing barrier. a project that was planned for and budgeted by Obama. stop taking credit for someone else’s work. and now the Deplorables are going to scream at me all day just as they did yesterday, but facts are facts
— Jeff Tiedrich (@itsJeffTiedrich) February 21, 2019
1st off the 20 mile replacement in Santa Teresa newsflash this project started in 2008.
The 2017 & 2018 appropriations expressly FORBIDS your administration using funds to built your bullshit wall
March 2018 CPB report https://t.co/bYjKQYaR3V
— SpicyFiles (@SpicyFiles) February 21, 2019
Dude…….this is repair to work begun in 2017. THAT work was approved before you became President. You really do just make shit up.
— Skeller85 (@skeller85) February 21, 2019
Then I guess you don’t need a #NationalEmergency now.
— Hayden Black (@haydenblack) February 22, 2019
#FakeNews this is a replacement
Section of wall that was funded through the Obama administration in 2009. It IS NOT NEW walking. As always trying to take credit for others work and claiming it’s something that it isn’t. What a child
— Vincent L Signa (@vlsigna) February 22, 2019
Featured Image Via YouTube Screenshot